SOUND VISION | A MEETING BETWEEN ITALIAN EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC AND VIETNAM
The Embassy of Italy, Casa Italia (Cafe Italia) and Dom Dom are pleased to present a performance by the Itaila couple of musicians – visual artists and graphic designers Eraldo Bernocchi and Petulia Mattioli. The concert is also an emotional meeting between Elrado Bernocchi and Vietnamese experimental musicians through explosive improvisational performances that promise many interesting experiences for Hanoi audiences.
This event is a multi-dimensional meeting of space/time, sound/visual, musical/visual language, monoline/polyline, moment/field between experimental musician Eraldo Bernocch and visual artist and graphic designer Petulia Mattioli, whose work has been associated with music since the 90s.
This show/meeting serves as a free movement into uncharted territories, exchanging ideas while encouraging audiences of different backgrounds to enjoy the show without carrying with it the inherent biases possess.
Time: 20:00 – Sunday 02/04/2023
Location: Casa Italia, 18 Le Phung Hieu Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
The event is limited to an audience of 50 people, please register for free admission at the link: https://goeco.link/tlrHk
Any questions please contact:
Hai Van (Event Coordinator)
Phone: +84 335 192 334
– Petulia Mattioli is a multidisciplinary artist, since 1992 she has been working with video, digital photography, graphics, installations, scenographies and “real time” multi-visions, using every medium and language, from video to matter. This essential relationship with music began in 1992 when she met the musician and producer Eraldo Bernocchi, with whom she works, experiments, creates new projects and collaborations. Her ongoing research and exploration of new artistic territories continue to inspire and captivate audiences around the world.
In summary, Petulia Mattioli is a true visionary artist whose work reflects her boundless creativity, innovation, and dedication to pushing the limits of what is possible in the world of art and design. She lives and works in London.
Her main exhibitions include: RoyalPhotographySociety/HundredHeroines-London, UK; Four Corners – UK , Palazzo delle Papesse – Contemporary Art Center – Siena, Italy; Berliner Kunstsalon – Berlin, Germany; Galleria Giulia Contemporary Art Gallery- Rome- Italy ; Pecci Contemporary Art Museum- Prato, Italy; SEE ME Site Specific – New York City, USA; Sharjah Arts Museum, United Arab Emirates; L’ ècume du Jour, Beauvais, Paris, France; Galleria Il Segno- Rome, Italy; Complesso Museale Villa Arbusto – Ischia, Italy; Music Gallery, Toronto, Canada.
– Eraldo Bernocchi is an Italian composer, arranger, producer and guitarist with a solid reputation as an all round sonic sculptor. Starting his career in the late 80’s as a guitarist in independent punk bands, he co-founded the conceptual audio project Sigillum S, which grew into a highly acclaimed international cult act. In the 90’s, together with the graphic designer and video artist Petulia Mattioli, Eraldo started to create a raft of notable audio visual projects and co-operations. A relentless sound explorer, he collaborated with numerous artists including Mick Harris, Bill Laswell, Nils Petter Molvaer, Harold Budd , Russell Mills, Toshinori Kondo, Raiz and Almamegretta, DJ Disk, Thomas Fehlmann, Markus Stockhausen, Giovanni Lindo Ferretti, Robin Guthrie, Colin Edwin, Balazs Pandi, Hoshiko Yamane, Flowdan among many others. In addition to regular work scoring music for adverts and other multimedia projects, Eraldo has composed film music for academy award winner Gabriele Salvatores and won the President of the Republic best soundtrack award for “Denti”. He produced numerous art installations with Petulla Mattioll, as well as other artists including Russell Mills and Harold Budd. In 2008, Eraldo founded RareNoise Records, a new London based label, that has since become an important conduit championing several forward thinking and original artists. In 2018 he scored “Cy Dear”, the first ever doc/film on the life of the legendary artist Cy Twombly which has been presented at MOMA New York, Louvre Paris and National Portrait Gallery, London. He’s also well known as a sound programmer and designer for Swedish synthesizer brand Elektron and Attack magazine. He lives in London.
– Hoai Anh came to music from a young age in a family rich in artistic and cultural traditions. She was trained through professional music schools at home and abroad: ethnic music, with painting, gourd, and t’rung instruments at the Hanoi College of Culture and Arts; classical music with piano, harp at the National Conservatory of Music in Bordeaux (France), electro acoustic music at the George Bizet Conservatory in Paris (France).
Having performed in many European countries (France, Italy, Switzerland…), she always aspires to introduce to international audiences the quintessence and uniqueness of Vietnamese traditional music.
Under the dedicated guidance of a famous traditional music and culture researcher, Prof. Dr. Tran Van Khe, she graduated with a Master’s degree in Ethnomusicology from the Sorbonne, Paris, in 2009, majoring in Cheo ‘singing; After that, he returned home to work at the Voice of Vietnam as a music reporter for 10 years.
– Nguyen Quoc Hoang Anh is a mixed-media artist, currently living and working in Hanoi. He studied classical piano at Military University of Culture and Arts, documentaries at DocLab, multimedia at FPT Arena, experimental music at Dom Dom and curator of sound art at Soundsnow – Onassi Stegi (Greece)
With a long family background from Vietnamese, Cantonese and Muong cultures, Hoang Anh has been raised in a diverse living space since childhood. He reconciles his personal origins with the local culture; with influences from Western culture, look back at the national heritage and find in it both humanity and modernity. Hoang Anh’s style of composition is based on traditional art materials, and considers it as an end to self-discovery rather than a means. Hoang Anh’s artistic practice demonstrates a focussed interest in the interpretation of personal narratives by presenting diverse artistic media such as audio, video, installation and conceptual art.
Some of the projects that Hoang Anh has participated in: the stage play “Endless Dimensions” inspired by traditional Tuong art at the Innovation Week 2021; Story Of Dan Bau sponsored by Hamburg University of Music and Theater, Germany, guest curator at Borderline Festival 2021 Athens Greece organized by European Union Creative Program, speaker in Arts and Culture program for sustainable development in Southeast Asia organized by the Royal University of Fine Arts of Cambodia and the ASEAN Cultural Foundation, the judge of the Marketing Peaking Point 2022 competition organized by RMIT University…
– Luong Minh (Luong Ngoc Minh) started studying classical music at the Vietnam National Academy of Music with the subject of Trumpet since 2005. After graduating from the Intermediate School of Music; won a full scholarship to study in Russia for 5 years, Minh learned more about Jazz, Pop, Ballad… in 5 years studying abroad. He completed a bachelor’s program in the field of research at the Faculty of Pedagogical Education, Kursk University, Russia. Luong Minh is among the artists who graduated from the first experimental music course at Dom Dom center and an experimental electronic music course co-organized by Dom Dom and Malmo University in Sweden.
He has won a number of awards in competitions held by the city: First prize in the orchestra competition, second prize in the competition “National Chamber Orchestra”, Third Prize in the national cultural festival, Third Prize in Spring Competition…
– Tuan Ni started artistic activities at the age of 14 with Funk and Hip hop music. He is also known as a Breakdance and Hiphop dancer. In 2013, Tuan and his team won 3rd prize at the 1st Street Art Festival in Hanoi. In 2017, he started studying Composition at the Vietnam National Academy of Music. Besides, he also attended courses in improvisation and free composition at the Center for Experimental Music and Art Dom Dom, guided by musician Tran Kim Ngoc.
– Thuy Linh Nguyen graduated from Vietnam National Academy of Music, majored in Performing Traditional Musical Instruments (The monochord and Zither). She also got a Bachelor of Arts and Literature Management and Culture Policy from Hanoi University of Culture.
She took part in a course on improvisation, experimental music at Dom Dom Music and Experimental Art Center.
Linh chose to identify herself with playing traditional instruments in order to preserve and maintain the folklore, she tries to link folk music with contemporary art through improvised compositions.
Having been performing arts for over 10 years since 2007as an artist playing traditional instruments, in March 2018, she participated in a project combining contemporary music and dance called Contemporary Music and Dance – Improvisation”; and currently the Dance and Music summer camp 2018 program, she participates in the concept of connecting artists in the field of choreography and dance in cooperation with Professor Heiner Goebbels, also a composer, a stage director and performer – internationally recognized.